Monday, January 10, 2011

Video Treatment


For my video project, I am going to make a short video about religious oppression. I chose this because I have grown up in a split religion household and have seen the difference in privileges that my father carries as Christian, compared to my mother that is Jewish. My video will start by stating the basics about Christian privilege in school and work, as well as in the public view. I will then continue on and talk about my personal experience of being Jewish in the public school system. I will interview my mother for a short clip of how it was to have children in school that did not teach about any religion other than Christian. I am going to record myself and my mother onto my computer by the built in microphone and webcam, making my project a sort of video blog. I will edit it with the program called Windows Movie Maker. As I have firsthand experience with religious oppression, I will use that as the basis of my speech. I will talk of my experiences and my families and talk about what we can do to make changes in society. My first step is to record myself talking and the interview scene with my mother to make sure that it flows smoothly and is the correct length. I then will record it again in a more formal way to make sure it is appropriate and edit it in order to put in transitions. I will be able to post it onto SlideShare after that. My take home message for this video will be about how we need equality and the realization of privilege that Christians have in society.

8 comments:

  1. I'm really excited to see your video. I spent first and second grade at a christian school and now I choose to identify myself with no religion. I can't wait to learn more about religion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Thank you, I'm excited about doing this project and actually to my mom about how religion affected her thoughts on public school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really look forward to watching your video! I also grew up in a very religious household and attended a catholic high school. There were a lot of kids that came from split house holds and struggled in religion course in regards to what they believed in, I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I would love to hear about someone who grew up in a one religion household, as living in a split one was all I have known.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to you! I am so excited to see this... I personally have wondered what it would be like to grow up in a multi religion household. I am Catholic myself, but I do agree that Christians have an advantage in society. I think Judaism faces a lot of scrutiny as well as oppression in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like an exciting and unique project. Is your father giving the Christian perspective?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only interviewed my mom because of the shortness of the video, but that would be interesting, Ethan, to see my dads view on religious oppression and privilege.

    ReplyDelete