Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Blog 4: Willow Smith


I had never heard of Willow Smith before seeing this video; I'm not very up to date on the pop culture scene. I was surprised to hear that my boyfriend knew who she was, and said that she was famous. She seemed very young to me, but I actually thought that the lyrics and images to the song were a lot less sexual than many others who sing and are famous. I didn't feel like the song was sexual, though I'm sure if I looked closely I could pick out something. I felt that for in this day and age, she did a pretty good job of not putting her body as an object; her clothes were very respectable. They did only show like one white girl dancing, which does continue the idea that white people cannot dance.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely about the sexual presentation of the song. There does not seem to be much because I believe if there was that the media would have a field day with the video (playing it on repeat for a whole day). She is actually ten years old which in my opinion makes me sick to think people bump and grin in clubs to a ten year old singing. I agree that her clothes were not sexualized in anyway which is good! I had to watch the video again after your white people can't dance comment. I do not see one white person dancing. Even the janitor of her music video school set, gets to whip his hair back and forth but not white kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think that it is good that her image is better than usual, but it's quite sad that the race stereotype continues.

    ReplyDelete