Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Post Thirteen: Ageism


I think that the root cause of ageism is what is said in the article by Butler, Ageism. He talks about "the underlying basis of ageism is the dread and fear of growing older, becoming ill and dependent, and approaching death." I think that this is one of the main factors to ageism in society in the United States today, the other being the idealization of the youth in media. Becoming old is seen as something bad and unwanted, even though it will happen to all of us. I do not think that I am an ageist, as I was raised to respect and understand my elders.  Just because someone is old and for example, cannot walk fast, does not mean they are less of a person in any way
                The video clip Once We Were Young gave a few examples as to why ageism is not talked about often in our society. It said that every week 30 older people commit suicide. I feel like society knows it carries these bias to the youth, but to face elders in accept aging would cause many people to feel guilt and distress they would rather avoid. I feel like the way elders are treated, especially in the US, makes it easy for people to put them out of sight and mind, only worrying about their own relatives if even that. I have a friend that works as a RN and she was astonished at how many elders are alone to face their health problems and troubles. It saddens me greatly that elders are not viewed as people like any of the public by much of society.

8 comments:

  1. I also work in the health care field at an assisted living facility for the elderly and I witness how most of them receive neglect from their families. You're right, especially at these times it is easy for people to put them out of sight and mind. Sadly that happens everyday. I agree with you and it saddens me everyday to see that these people, who are our elders, who we will be one day, don't receive the respect they should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In so many cultures elders are somewhat idolized for being the most wise through the knowledge they have gained over the years. Yet, in our culture we treat elders as a somewhat burden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree that aging should be embrace, it is a natural part of life and most people some day are going to reach old age. There are so many products being produced and consumed trying to prolong youth. What's the point in obsessing over staying young though, because old age is inevitable, and should not be considered such a dreaded part of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your post but the one thing that impacted me was when you brought up your friend the RN and how many older people face health issues alone. I find it difficult to think about because when my grandmother was dying (she lived with us basically my whole life) she wanted to pass away at home. Those last couple months brought us together as a family in a stronger way. It was a difficult time seeing her sick yet I cherish those times because she really knew how much she meant to us. It sickens me that the elderly, who have a family, still face issues toward the end of their life alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel like there’s a standard for what the perfect age is in our society, between 20 and 38 (39 is way too close to 40). That’s just an observation, I don’t agree with it. I say this because of a point my father raised in observing how I wanted to be older when I was ten or twelve. “It’s funny how kids want to be older and adults want to be younger.” I think there’s something to be said about no knowing what you have until it’s gone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you made a good point when you said that one of the main factors is fear of growing old and not wanting illnesses and what not. I think thats definitely true, I just wish people respected the elderly more then they do now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was really tough hearing about elderly people who commit suicide. I know when my grandfather was really old he was happy, but when my grandmother was old, she was very depressed. It's sad to think in our society elderly people are so sad. I'd be curious to see the statistics for elderly suicide in different countries where they respect their elders, like Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As many of you said, respect is just so important, especially for the elderly. How can we begin to build that in this society?

    ReplyDelete