Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Quick Post Three: Classism


An experience where I was privileged due to my class is when I grew up attending horse shows. I always took it for granted that I was able to attend and pay for all the classes, when in fact, many people cannot afford to show their horses. I never thought about the people that would love to show, but were unable because there were no options for anyone with a lower income.
            An experience were I was disadvantaged due to my socio-economic status  is my choice of college. I have always known that I would go to college after high school, but I had to choose an instate school because of the tuition cost. I know many people who applied all of the country and gladly took for granted something that I knew I could not dream of having without intense scholarships.
            An experience I have had when I witnessed classism is the attitude towards a friend for commuting to school. The people always automatically think that they are less smart and beg off their parents, when in fact they live at home in order to save money for themselves and their family. When I hear things like this, I always try to explain how it might be for someone not as privileged as them to be in the middle to upper class where they may not have the same fears and worries for getting an education.

2 comments:

  1. First of all the fact that you were able to have a horse at all is quite an honor. I do not know a single family that is below high-middle class that are able to show off their horses. I am jealous not because I am in a lower social status, but the fact that I have never rode a horse which I want to do yet I am so afraid of pulling a "superman."
    Your second experience I was in the exact same boat probably like most of the rest of our college class. I do not even enjoy UNH. It was my least favorite school to visit and did not have the major I was interested in. My reason for going was it was the only school that I could reasonably get into with my loans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that many people attend UNH because it is instate. I wish that NH was like CA, where they have the CalStates as well as the UCs and community colleges. It leaves so many options and different schools, many which are reasonably priced.

    ReplyDelete