Monday, January 10, 2011

Sixth Post: A Class Divided


 I personally was impressed with Elliott's experiment  A Class Divided.  I think that the ethics may not have been correct, but that that she was able to give a forceful impression on these children about race and inequality. In her time and day, this experiment would have been legally fine to perform, as she in fact did for many years, because the ethical standards of today were not in place yet.  She felt strongly about this and did something that impacted the children and adults for their entire lives. It's shocking to see how people can act so different after being told they are better than another group or that they are inferior. This experiment reminded me a lot of the Stanford prison experiment, as in both situations the people accepted and acted in their unequal, oppressor/oppressed ways.
                 In the standards of current day, I do not think she would not have been allowed to perform this experiment because it can harm the children. I do believe that this experiment was worth it at the time, as if this was done to all students when they were young, I bet the world would be a much more equal place.  I think that if there were another way to perform this experiment with children in which they would not be harmed then that would be fantastic, but personally I cannot think of a different way to really get the children to deeply understand racism and cruelty. I think that the training given to people of an older age is defiantly a positive, and with confirmed consent could be something that may lead people towards understand equality and inequality.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you Ruth. That we don't really know any other way to really get children to understand racism and cruelty. But why would we want to change the children? I think that we should teach the parents to understand racism and change the ways they teach their own children. This way, children won't get harmed because it's coming from their parents. But it's harder for older adults to change their ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very true, it would be great if we could give this type of workshop to parents. I do wonder how much it would cause them to actually change their ways though.

    ReplyDelete