Thursday, January 6, 2011

Lady Gaga and Feminism

I personally do not listen to Lady Gaga or Ke$ha often, as I usually like to relax to calm acoustic music such as Jack Johnson. I have thought of both of their images and music as amusing at times, but had never thought of them as Feminists. The article Gaga and Ke$ha Champion New Feminism, by Rowen, mentions that " While their outfits, song lyrics, and public images may seem perverse and demeaning now, anyone who considers themselves a feminist should think about the social possibilities that these artists may open for women in the future." I think that their songs with women being active and in control are feminist related, I do not agree with how they are portraying these strong women. Rowen says how many songs are about Ke$ha partying with her friends, which personally I do not think puts a good light on these now independent women. I feel like it shows that when we are not submissive, like usual to men, we are out of control. I know that not all of Lady Gaga and Ke$ha's songs are like this, so I do admit that they are feminists in who they portray women, I just wish they would be more positive role models for young women.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot agree with you more about this topic. Most of the other posts I looked at were complimenting Lady Gaga, but it was funny that most did not compliment Ke$ha. They empower themselves through using the very same institutionally sexists structure in this country and turning it from being focused as using and abusing women to men being used and abused by them. It sounds like a new age of radical feminism. I do not believe that they can be role models were young women because they are not real people in my opinion. They sold their souls to the corporate bigheads of the music industry. I do not believe that the majority of famous people can be role models. The only role models I ever found in music were Maynard James Keenan and Trent Reznor because they hated the industry that made them.

    ReplyDelete