Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Post Twelve: Ableism


The video Gimp got my heart racing, I was incredibly impressed with the dancers and their ability to convey such strong emotions throughout the piece. It shows that no matter what your human body may look like, or if you have a disability or not, you are the same inside. Every human has the same heart and emotion no matter if they walk different or talk different. It addresses the issues of ableism by showing how dance, something that supposedly is only for people without disability, is something that anyone can do. It goes in the face of anyone who ever told them they couldn't do it because they were "cripple". I think that performances like these can give hope to many people as well as educate many people about disability and the inequality many people with disabilities face.
                The article Gawking, Gaping, Staring, by Eli Clare, really showed first-hand inequality faced by someone with a disability. I really liked how Clare tied in how it's not just ableism, but other things as well that cause so much hate an inequality. I think that while going through these different sections  of the class we all need to remember that everyone faces these different types of oppression, many times all at once.  Our culture in the US seems to be built on these unequal, mean ideas. I am curious to learn about other cultures and how they deal with all these forms of oppression as well.

6 comments:

  1. I think that the video was really good too! I was glad that there is a place where people can be themselves and not worry they will be judged for their disability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the video very impressing as well. I know that I myself being an able person could not dance that way and they should be praised for the ability they still have. People assume too much and we all really need to start looking further under the surface rather than skimming it (assuming and creating prejudice assumptions). And I also was glad there is a place they can express themselves without having to worry about being judged for their disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also curious how America's forms of oppression stack up to other cultures. Unfortunately it seems like, as far as developed countries are concerned, we wouldn't like the findings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you said that every human has the same heart and emotion. People can overcome the physical restrictions and accomplish whatever they put their minds to. It simply takes determination and spirit to dance, and all of these dancers shown had both those and more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too was inspired by the dancers in the film Gimp. I like how you realize that dance is something that everyone can do-whether disabled or not disabled. These dancers are remarkable and should be proud of the talent they have and everything they have had to overcome. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all of you, that video is truly amazing. Being in a society which looks down on disabilities, I think that many people would grow and learn from this video. They would be able to see the strength it takes in this society to live under that pressure.

    ReplyDelete