Thursday, January 20, 2011

Quick Blog 6: Ageism


My social sphere is diverse in that I spend a lot of time with my family. My family consists of all ages, except for the very young. My close group of friends is only my age, but I do wish I spent more time with youth and elderly people. When I worked at  therapeutic riding center, I made certain to work with the children, as I love spending time with youth. I think it's really fun and satisfying to take part in their learning, whether it be about horses or academics. I also really enjoy talking to elderly people, as they have so much to say and lives lived from before I was born. I think that the reason my close friend interactions are with people my age is because our society is segregated. I'm not sure why this is, but it is probably because of the way society separates generations with ideals and stereotypes. If, even now, I decide to hang out with the elderly or with youth, I know many people in society would wonder why I would do such a thing. It would be seen as not right in the eyes of many people.
                Young adults and middle-age adults are often privileged due to their age because that is the age in society that people are seen as in their prime. They are seen to be smart and the age where they are the best to do anything. This needs to change because no matter the age of the person, they are still smart, respectable people. Things need to be done to challenge the segregation in society, whether it be groups where all ages are invited to talk and share or game nights in town. Old people need to be respected, and they are in many cultures. I am not sure why the American culture does not carry that same respect. I think one major way that this respect can form is through conversations of the families as well as education on aging and the elderly.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on hanging out with older people. I think they have great stories and a lot can be learned from them. I think American culture is really fast paced and that is one of the reasons why we as a society tend to push them to the side? I am not 100% about that. I just think it might be a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of that before Lynette, maybe that is one of the core reasons why in America elders are pushed away from the mainstream so much. I think that would make sense, as the American Ideal always shows perfect young people

    ReplyDelete